Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kosciuszko’s Will

Kosciuszko - Champion of Human Rights
Kosciuszko’s Will

“I, Thaddeus Kosciuszko, being just in my departure from America, do hereby declare and direct that should I make no other testamentary disposition of my property in the United States thereby authorize my friend Thomas Jefferson to employ the whole thereof in purchasing negroes from among his own as any others and giving them liberty in my name in giving them an education in trades and otherwise, and in having them instructed for their new condition in the duties of morality which may make them good neighbors, good fathers or mothers, husbands or wives and in their duties as citizens, teaching them to be defenders of their liberty and country and of the good order of society and in whatsoever may make them happy and useful, and I make the said Thomas Jefferson my executor of this.”

Thaddeus Kosciuszko
5th day of May, 1798

[Did Thomas Jefferson honor the will? Oh hell no!]


No comments:

Post a Comment

HOME

HOME
Click here to return to the US Slave Home Page